Tapenade is a traditional French condiment which is great on vegetables as well as grilled fish, eggs, meat and chicken. As a party appetizer, it can be served on pretty leaves of endive.
But the real beauty of this recipe is the wealth of healthy fats, including oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid in olives and olive oil along with the omega-3 fatty acids found in anchovies. Healthy fats are critical building blocks for hormone production and they keep inflammation levels low, boost your metabolism and promote weight loss.. Low blood levels of omega-3s have been connected to inflammation, which causes many women's health issues in menopause, such as osteoporosis, vaginal dryness, thinning skin and hair, joint pain, and dry eyes. Diets with insufficient fat can exacerbate hormonal imbalance, which includes thyroid hormones and the adrenals.
Black Olive Tapenade
This omega-3 rich dip can also be served with a snack of crackers or crudité.
Serves: 3 cups
• 3 cups pitted Kalamata or Nicoise olives
• 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
• 1 tablespoon anchovy paste or 2 salt-packed anchovies
• ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds, finely chopped (can sub in walnuts for even more omega-3s!)
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
• Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
• Pinch of cayenne or a twist of black pepper
1. Place all the ingredients – except the olive oil – in the bowl of a food processor.
2. While pulsing, drizzle the olive oil into the mixture and continue to pulse until all ingredients are very finely chopped. Add a pinch of salt if necessary.
3. Serve or store in a jar in the refrigerator capped with olive oil. It should keep this way for several weeks.