It was a birthday week in our house and one of the ways we celebrated was by making our own ice cream. Ice cream is definitely a favorite around here and mint chocolate chip is one we all agree on! Although I can tolerate full-fat yogurt and some cheeses... this coconut milk-based dessert is smoooooooth and rich and so much kinder to my digestive system. Plus, the mint leaves that we gather from our garden give it a natural mint green hue and taste rather than that faux green stuff found at many ice cream shops. Enjoy! And stay cool!
Makes 6-8 servings
- 2 13.5 ounce cans full fat coconut milk (I like this one)
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, washed and patted dry
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon high- quality organic vanilla extract (I like this one)
- 1 teaspoon organic peppermint extract (I like this one)
- 1/2 cup fine dark chocolate chips (I like this one (GF/DF) or this one)
- Blend coconut milk and mint leaves in a food processor until smooth.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, honey and extracts. Add to the food processor and blend.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow instructions. For us, this takes about 40 minutes of churning in the machine to get to the right consistency.
- Add chips to the ice cream maker and churn for one more minute.
- Enjoy right away with your favorite chocolate syrup!
- Leftovers can be frozen and thawed for about 10 minutes before serving again.
Happy summer everyone! And happy birthday to our favorite girl!