This recipe was inspired by the Minimalist Baker. It's sweet but spicy and served warm with coconut milk ice cream is a well-earned sweet treat after a day of hiking and picking apples.
- 6 medium apples, peeled and cored - sweet and tart
- dash fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, plus 1/4 cup for the topping
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend or brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a square baking dish or Pyrex with coconut oil.
- Add apples to a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Toss to coat with 1/4 cup sugar, arrowroot, cinnamon and salt.
- Transfer to baking dish and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, add remaining coconut sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and salt and stir. Add coconut oil, melted and mix until it is all well blended.
- Sprinkle over the apples and bake until soft and topping is golden brown. About 50 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.