A natural compound called silymarin has made this relatively unknown yet well-researched plant a liver support go-to for ages. Silymarin is an antioxidant that reduces free radical production and oxidative damage and also inhibits the binding of toxins to the liver and helps the liver regenerate damaged tissue. This “oatmeal” recipe provides a delicious, gluten and grain-free warm breakfast option that is full of fiber and healthy fats along with blood sugar-supportive seeds.
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
• 1/4 cup hemp seeds
• 1/4 cup chia seeds
• 1/4 cup coarsely ground flaxseeds
• ¼ cup milk thistle seeds
• ½ cup shredded coconut
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ginger
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix ingredients together in a saucepan. Cover with 3-3 1/2 cups of filtered water.
- Stir and cook gently over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into four bowls.
- Top with your favorite toppings: coconut or almond milk, coconut oil, blueberries, raspberries, pears, chopped nuts or dates.
- You can also use only ¼ of the mixture for one serving and store the rest in a mason jar in the fridge.
Quick Version: Just pour 2-3 cups of boiling water over the mixture, stir well and let sit for 4-5 minutes and then serve and enjoy.