The late summer is my favorite time to get creative in the kitchen. So many fruits and vegetables at their peak and lots of herbs calling to get thrown into recipes. This salad is a perfect side dish for barbecues or as a main dish that could support grilled chicken or fish. Peaches are rich in a variety of phytonutrients including Vitamins A, C, E and K as well as potassium and fiber and their sweetness perfectly compliments that bitterness of the arugula. Enjoy summer's bounty while it lasts!
- 1 bunch of arugula, washed and patted dry
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- Optional: 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill. Place peaches, cut sides down, on oiled grates and grill until grill marks appear, about 4-5 minutes. Remove and cool.
2. Toast pepitas in a toaster oven until slightly toasted but not dark.
3. Make dressing by shaking all ingredients together in a half-pint mason jar or whisking together briskly.
4. In a large salad bowl, gently mix arugula and mint leaves. Toss in toasted pepitas. Top with grilled peaches sliced and feta.
5. Dress lightly and toss gently. Serve immediately.